Hey Royalty! I am too thrilled to begin a new year with a new bible reading plan! This year, I will be reading the Beloved Society 2018 Scripture Reading Plan! It is a year-long, chronological order plan created by one of my favorite bible journaling artists, Beth La Fleur!
I have experienced this before: a new year, a new reading plan. I understand the preparation and excitement that accompanies the journey. I also understand the feeling of failure if the plan is not executed exactly the way it was envisioned. There is a strategy for staying motivated and encouraged through the process. Here are 7 ways to stay on top of your goal of completing your plan:
- Stay focused on the goal. Often times you start a bible reading plan, read through it quickly and then just check off the task on your to-do list. That is not the purpose of the goal. You are supposed to be learning more about and drawing closer to God. Check that off the list instead!
- Stay connected. God did many things in the bible in pairs! The message: don’t do it alone! Get with a partner, friends or online group or others who are reading the same plan. Get together electronically or meet up to break bread; discuss what you are reading for additional encouragement or as a just check in.
- Stay flexible. So you have read the King James Version for years… that doesn’t mean that you have to read the bible for understanding in the same way. Reading other versions or listening to audio is a great way to add variety and another level of understanding to your study.
- Stay approved. The bible says to study to show yourself approved… the key is to study. You will will experience days where you have plenty of time to read and you may even read ahead of the plan. However, there may also be days where you cannot fathom opening any book. If you miss a day (or two) be encouraged to keep up with God, not with a deadline.
- Stay creative. Finding a unique way to track your progress, journaling or illustrating in your bible is a way to study creatively. Even if you cannot do this daily, don’t leave it out of your study time. By the way, click here for a FREE 2018 resource for tracking your daily reading habits!
- Stay loaded with resources. You may become discouraged if you are reading and not understanding what you are reading. Pray before beginning and arm yourself with useful tools, like bible study devotionals and guides, the internet and concordances.
- Stay pumped. The bible says to seek the Lord with all of your heart. Your heart should be pumping for God, but this does not mean that everyday will be an awesome day. Even on the days when you are not feeling your best, move forward with the reading plan and watch God answer the prayers of your heart!
Now that you know my strategy, here is a look inside my Beloved Society Devotional book (in these clips are every single devotional that Beth has put out since the first one, My Nannie’s Song!)
What is your bible reading plan for the year? Comment below!
THE Confident Canvas