Hello Crowned Creative heARTist! You are now viewing a Confident Canvas!
I’m LaQuisha, an entrepreneur, educator and crowned Christian creative who will call you a queen or a heARTist because I believe in you. Covering my hands with paint makes my soul leap but it’s not what I did for a long time!
As a small child, I told people that when I grew up I wanted to be a bird (specifically, I love peacocks!). As a pre-teen, I wanted to be a fashion designer. As I was preparing for college, I was told that art would not pay my bills. So now, I have a BA in English and a MAT in Secondary Education (LOL). Even while working as and becoming an award-winning educator, I have spent most of my time being creative by empowering youth and adults locally and abroad with presentations about confidence, advocating for those who have been abused and mentoring.
March 2016 changed everything and rekindled my creative fire! I began Bible Art Journaling (after discovering it on Pinterest) as a Spring Break activity for relaxation. It turned into so much more after I posted my first page on social media. I also have a passion for mixed media, journaling and hand lettering which I realized I had been using in everything I have done for years.
I feel so incredibly blessed to be creative like my Creator (God) and share my passion with you! I love, love, love what I do. I hope you are inspired as I truly believe it’s never too late to follow your creative passions with confidence.
A few professional facts…
Since beginning Confident Canvas, I have had the honor of working with some awesome brands! I am also creative through writing as I have been read internationally as the author and co-author of more than 10 books! Creative books I am featured in are A Workbook Guide to Bible Journaling and the Purple Poetry Book 2021 You can read about my other books here.
I have done so many creative things that I am proud of:
- 2009 | I am the visionary behind the Purple Poetry Book that TurnAround, Inc. still uses as a fundraiser against domestic violence today
- 2014 | Started the #RevealYourTeal Sexual Abuse Prevention Campaign
- 2015 | My artwork appeared on Couture’d Cards, the #ReignAndRise Collection
- 2016 | My artwork appeared on the cover of my own journals, The SLAY Collection (Feb)
- 2016 | I started painting on canvases (Apr)
- 2017 | I created my own planner called Cue the Queen
- 2018 | Started the #RestoreYourRoyalty Domestic Violence Prevention Campaign
- 2019 | I hosted my first art gallery (Apr)
Stay tuned because there is so much more on the way, including my first in-person art retreat, #CampConfidentCanvas, to be hosted in summer 2023!
A few random facts about me…
- I get up at least 5 days a week at 6:00 a.m. and begin my morning routine.
- I am a recovering perfectionist, so much that I would have straightened the paintings on the wall in your house. Most recently, I was compelled to fix the chalkboard at the Whatever Craft House (pictured), LOL!
- I’m 5’10″ and I change my hair styles and clothes a lot. I used to run a fashion blog called Corner Curl Girl.
- I am the oldest of 4 beautiful sisters.
- I’m gregarious and extremely confident. I prefer friends who cling to Christ and not people.
- I love reading and writing so much that I have published more than 100 Baltimore City scholars. Check out a news clip here!
- I love the colors purple, teal and gold. Each of these colors mean something to me personally and they look great together.
- I am from the south but my hubby does all of the cooking.
- I have no tattoos. I prefer drawing on paper, lol.
- I am a pageant queen many times over from 2008 to 2023 (Mrs. Maryland International).
- My favorite book of the Bible is Nehemiah. I believe God strengthened my hands for a great work just as He did for Nehemiah.
- I never let a day go by without greeting a young lady or woman with “Hey queen!” or anyone else with “Praise the Lord!”
I’m so glad you stopped by. I hope you’ll stick around and find something that inspires you!