The Creative Process of a Confident Canvas

One of my absolute favorite planners, Meka (IG: @yespleaseplanning) commented on one of my posts this past week.

The image above is the Instagram photo that Meka commented on. This was my illustration of Genesis 18:14, “Is anything too hard for the LORD?” I used the Illustrated Faith Print and Pray shop deer with glasses, created by @saltedbrew. As I meditated on this scripture throughout the day, I thought about how hard it is for us sometimes to see the miracles God will allow in our lives, just as it was hard for Abraham to see that God could still bless him with a child through his elderly wife, Sarah. Hence, the deer with a pair of glasses…

Whenever Meka comments on one of my posts, it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, lol. This past week she shared that “there is always something new to see on my page and it’s all beautiful!” She also wanted to hear how I “manage to create so prolifically”. The part that made my heart melt: #youaregoals.

This hashtag reminded me of the reason why I named my creativity side “Confident Canvas”: we are all God’s canvases awaiting the ultimate paint job by Him. Because we trust the Original Artist, in our walk through life, we can stand tall and confident. It is because of my fear of the Lord that I believe I have been successful via art. It is important to me that those who look at or purchase what I produce have their questions answered. Today’s blog is dedicated to answering Meka’s questions…

How much time do you spend creating? When do you create?

I get up daily between 4-4:30 a.m. in hopes of beginning my bible journaling process. In the early morning, I read whatever scriptures are designated for the day (I am currently reading the Beloved Society Scripture Reading Plan). Usually, there are key scriptures that stick out of the passages to me. I will either write them down or highlight them on the Youversion Bible app. I go on about my day (work, running errands, mailing and picking up happy mail, etc.) but I will keep the key scriptures in mind throughout the day. Once I arrive back home in the evening, I have thought about the scripture so much that I have an idea of what the illustration should be. Then, I look through my files of Illustrated Faith Print and Pray Shop material, I consider my planner stickers and stamps… if nothing fulfills the image that I have in my mind, I begin drawing it!

So I guess you could say that to come up with one bible journaling page could be the process of an entire day!

Do you make time daily?

I will be honest, in the the past, no… I did not create daily. I would be tired from long days or too busy to slow down. Between running 2 nonprofits, entrepreneurship and teaching full time, my creativity would often be dismissed because I had so much to do. In 2018, I have snatched my life back and decided to restore myself. Restoration for me comes through my art and I have not missed a day of creating since the new year started. It is so important to make time, even if it is just doodling: create something every day!

The craft room where it all goes down…

Have you let go of perfection so that you can do it fairly quickly?

I am the ultimate perfectionist: even the file folders on my computer are completely organized! The perfectionism spread through every area of my life, however, I learned to let go of perfection when I began to see the beauty in it!

A crooked line, a splattered paint drop and more was such a struggle for me—I even hated layering because I wanted every part of a sticker to be seen! However, these “mistakes” added a unique character to my work, something that I appreciated as I began to see it more and more. Now, that I see the beauty in a lack of perfection, you will catch me purposefully drawing a crooked border around a page, or turning a spilled paint drop into a flower. I now embrace my imperfections!

Your turn…

How and when do you create?

Are you creating something every day?

Have released perfection in creativity?

Do you have any other questions you would like to see my response to?

Comment below for your chance to win a prize!

xo,

LaQuisha

The Confident Canvas

14 thoughts on “The Creative Process of a Confident Canvas

1. Maria Muresan says:

Absolutely love the colors of your craft room!!!
    My goal this year is to really dig into the word itself more! So I haven’t been creating in my journaling bible every day… but I have been keeping up with the reading plan and writing reflecting in a journal of each day’s passages, and keeping up with my scripture writing! Hoping soon maybe I can find some kind of balance and will get to the point where I can do entries more often or daily in my journaling bible too!! ♥

Liked by 2 people

2. Sona says:

Thank You for sharing your Creative Process! The reminder that “we are all God’s canvases” resonated with me to let God lead Me in my “ultimate paint job (life).” It’s amazing how we let distractions side track us. Your room is beautiful, just as You are!

Liked by 1 person

3. Antoinette Cain says:

What a beautiful space. I’m sure that it influences creativity. One of my goals is to begin my day much earlier so that I can dedicate at least a solid hour to my craft. Congrats on the progress that you’ve made so far this year.

Liked by 1 person

4. MUAKimPorter says:

The craft room is beautiful. I love this interview, too. I can see why you got all warm and fuzzy inside when Meka commented on your post.

I try to jot things down for my blog every day so that when I am ready to write a story I have the ideas down. It makes the process easier.

Liked by 1 person

5. Danielle says:

I’d never heard of bible journaling until following your account, your work is beautiful and you have. Great space to create in. I’m trying to get more consistent about waking up early to do what I love post.

Liked by 1 person

6. EG III says:

I’m like you. I get up everyday, organically, between either 3-5. I feel like I do my best creation in the early morning hours while the rest of the world is still asleep.

Liked by 1 person

7. Bridgid says:

I used to create just about every single day until I was hit with motherhood and didn’t really know how to juggle my creative side with everything as I usually sew and design. I just didn’t/don’t have to time for it. I look forward to the time I can get back to that though.

Liked by 1 person

8. Dr. Mon says:

Thanks for sharing! Our processes are similar in that I start with the Bible, reading and writing in the morning. I let the Lord speak during the day and create in the evenings. But when school is in, I find I’m often just starting pages in the evening and then finishing them in batches on the weekend.

Liked by 1 person

9. Stevie says:

I am so happy to have found you to follow! This blog post has totally helped me! I am going to make it my goal to create more often!!! I need to keep working to get over my fear of ruining my Bible with my imperfect work!!!

Liked by 1 person